Sunday, July 22, 2012

Defending myself against the evils of instagram

So, most of my friends and family know that I'm anti iPhone, for a bunch of reasons. And one of the things that irked me about the exclusivity of iPhone users was their smugness for using instagram ("ner ner, you Android people can't play with us, ner ner")... When instagram expanded into the Android world I was dead set against signing up. I had no interest whatsoever in joining that realm. Most of it to do with upholding my non-conformist agenda.
;-)

A couple of weeks ago I realised that I hadn't seen ANY photos from a friend on facebook for ages. I knew this was weird because she was away on holidays in qld and I wondered where she's disappeared to. So I sent her a text saying I missed her and hoped she was well etc. She replied that if I was on instagram I'd know exactly where she was and what she was up to. She wasn't being a smartarse, just letting me know that she was still active on social media, just not where I was hanging out. I had a bit of a sadface and thought to myself "well that sucks", but didn't think much more of it.

Since I quit the book of face 3 days and 3 hours ago I realised that one of the things I missed most about it was seeing photos of people that I love. Photos of their kids, their adventures and their lives. I stewed on it. I shrugged. I thought twitter might fill the void. But most of the people I love aren't on twitter. It wasn't going to cut the mustard at all.

So I bit the bullet and signed up to the thing of evil.

I did it because I miss my loved ones. And even though I hate admitting I'm wrong, I was wrong to be so stubborn and shun it because I didn't want to be a sheep.

Here are the things I hate about instagram:
* people take photos of random and stupid shit
* it's so "cool" and "hipster"
* I don't want to see photos of food and drinks
* most of the arty filters look ridonkulous
* and the big one - I am sad that people have resorted to using phones to capture every photographic memory. I'm sad that people are shunning "real" cameras and better quality imagery for the sake of convenience. I'm sad that some kids might grow up with only phone photos of themselves. P&S cameras are cheap people (well some of them are). I beg you all to spend $100 on a cheap camera to throw in your handbag or pocket or glovebox so that when you're out and about you can take photos of your kids that aren't grainy as shit and that you can actually print. I realise this means it's harder to share with your friends and family on social media and that it requires some extra effort from you. But trust me when I say your kids will thank you later on.

I know of a family that recently celebrated the birth of twins. Those teeny babies were in hospital for several weeks and have not long been allowed to come home. Every single photo of those babies from the moment they have been born has been taken on a phone camera. They are grainy, out of focus, and generally terrible quality. I'm glad that mum and dad were able to capture some memories of their tiny babies with the means at hand, but I'm SO sad that they don't have anything better than that. I feel that they will regret that terribly in the years to come and I feel that their babies will be disappointed when they are older.

And another thing: over the last couple of years I've been thinking of "funeral photos". I know it's morbid, but I've had reason to think about it. I put together a slideshow for my Nan's funeral. I helped find photos for my Poppy's funeral. I watched a friend's funeral slideshow a few short months ago. I want my funeral slideshow to be kick arse. And I don't want it filled with phone photos. Because they simply aren't as good as photos taken with an actual camera.

Here are the things I like about instagram:
* my friends and family are there

Happy Sunday all. xo

5 comments:

  1. Ooo, you are on Instagram?! Quick text me your username so I can immediately follow you (unless I'm doing it already - which is entirely possible I'm a total scatterbrain at the moment). I MUST see photos of your lunch and dinner, as well as any and all beverages you are currently drinking. :-P

    You'll be pleased to know that I have been making an effort of late to pull out the camera to take photos of 'everyday' moments. Not just the p&s either. I figure I spent a bijillion dollars on a decent camera and it only seems fair my kids should reap the benefits of that not just clients kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello olive, nice to see you. Also hello to Melissa. You know I don't have an android or an iPhone, just a plain old 8year old Nokia, so I'm a bit behind the times. I didn't realize that instagram was twitter for photos, I just thought t was a tool for sending photos to your pc. The things you learn. O, you are right about fb, it's a life sucker, but only if you have a life. I think I spend my time on it as a tv replacement that's more interactive. Also, I like wwf and 52 portraits. Anyway. Hello, have a good day Wednesday, and I am looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only anti-instagram gal. I don't get it, it's ugly. But if you link it to fb, I will see it, and so, i'm happy with that. If you are a petty bitch that only posts to instagram with no linkies, you are no friend of mine.

    Anyhoo, I missed your face(book), and saw you'd gone. I don't miss many people, but I like you. I also like Melissa, and I see she's here, so .. hey. Did you know I got her unfriended by peeps? It's kinda a badge of honour. So.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words of wisdom. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi gorgeous...I'm a bit slow reading this...but I had bookmarked your blog yonks ago and am so happy to see you still writing sometimes. Personally I did a little jump of joy when I saw you sign up for Instagram. I have missed you terribly - which is a bit weird considering we've never met...but true. I love seeing your IG photos. (And I apologise in advance for any food or beverage shots I subject you to down the track.) As for everything FB related...I agree, I concur, and I feel the same. I feel like I've given too much of myself to social media for too long and although I am still there...I'm not there much and I feel so much better for it (and kind of proud too). Hooray for you for being so bold and brave. And don't be a stranger. xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing feedback, so feel free to leave me some :-)